Sunday, August 2, 2009

VanDusen Gardens in Vancouver - Part 1

Jody and I visited VanDusen Gardens on July 23, 2009. It is an amazing gorgeous, beautiful garden! - Or I should say gardenS.. Therere were so many different gardens within the garden. I took so many photos that I'm going to post more than one blog with them. I could have spent so much more time there - and I will definately go back!!! There are other gardens in Vancouver that were recommended to me too that I didn't have the chance to visit that I will be sure to go back and check out. Jody and I were so impressed with Vancouver and it's people. Everyone that we met was so very nice. We both have said that we would love to live there. Maybe one day... This was definately my favorite garden .... the Japanese Maple garden.... Breathtaking!!!!






The Japanese maple in the photo above is called a Pine Bark Japanese Maple - soo cool!





'Inabe Shidare' in the bottom right of the photo above.





This was an amazing 'Viridis' you could pull up a chair and have a cup of tea under it.





The pond was covered in lily pads and flowers.
















Jody is sitting under a gorgeous weeping Willow. There were two side by side - under the next onne to the right (not pictured) a wedding rehearsal was taking place.





Jody standing amongst the redwoods..
















This was a floating bridge..





Eucomis.. This is a different Eucomis than I have. I have the Purple-leaf Pineapple lily.





Beautiful Agapanthus.






Crocosmia above Osteospermum... or as my friend Kacey says.... Crocos....Mia!!! :)




Monkey Puzzle Tree












These photos were from the Meditteranean Garden.









I love, love, love Brugmansia... Gorgeous huge flowers that are incredibly fragrant. I have 4 in my garden this year and nonoe of them have started blooming yet. I do have a Datura blooming though at least.. I've posted pics of it here on my blog before.














Brugmansia is shown here with purple heliotrope. Heliotrope is a beautiful drought tolerant annual here in Georgia that is also incredibly fragrant. It smells like candy.






Heliotrope with Nasturium by the pond.


Doesn't this make you want a Meditteranean Garden?


































































Euphorbia!!!!



Rustic Orange Calla lilies combined with Heuchera.. Very nice color combination!




The Cala Lilies were also near 'Autumn Joy' Sedum.. another nice combo..






Heuchera, Hakanakloa, and Geranium..








Kniphovia, Echinacea, and Japanese Blood Grass. I had never seen this combo before.. They were truly a magnificent trio!!











Pea Tree! when I first saw this I thought it was a Euphorbia. Years ago when I was arranging the flowers for my sister's wedding - which was on the beach - I found this as a cut flower and bought it for the arrangements. it didn't hold up very well - but it is a beautiful plant. This photo doesn't do it justice it glows, green, blue, and purple. Magnificent!





Knautia and Heuchera.




Do you see Jody sitting under this magnificent weeping tree? I can't remember - but I think it was a weeping Mulberry?





Yes! They had my very favorite perennial in more than one spot and in more than one combination. Persicaria 'Red Dragon'.





Notice the Allium Seed pods. They are so beautiful!





I saw tons of Bergenia in VanDusen and in other plantings in Vancouver. It was everywhere. I also saw it in Alaska and you'll see photos later of me showing Jody how it gets it's common name of 'Pig Squeak.'



















Persicaria and Plectranthus! That's a great combo. The plectranthus brings out the blue/green/silver in the Persicaria.


Then add the Burgundy flower of the Knautia and you have another great trio!












This is one of a pair of Georgeous Japanese Maples. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the background on this one. You will see a blue tarp covering some equipment which is also camaflouged by some branches. And you can see some major electric cords running on the ground. The day we visited VanDusen Gardens they were filming a movie. Marmaduke, the Movie. A live action film of the old cartoon. I took some photos of the movie making and how they added fake flowers to boost up areas of the garden to fit such a movie.
Below you'll see a photo that says 'Bark Park'. This is not a dog park in VanDusen Gardens - this was purely movie set. It took me a minute to realize that. Once I saw 'Orange County' under the sign I got it. The flowers in this pic are all fake. I have more pics of the movie making that I'll point out too.
















Carex 'Evergold' and Heuchera









Monarda. Such a cool/unusual flower shape.





OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! Black Hollyhocks were blooming!!! (okay so were many other colors - but I love, love, love black flowers and foliage and these were AMAZINGLY beautiful!)









Look at the flowers - they are almost pure black in bud and before they fully open and then once they open they are a gorgeous black with hints of burgundy.










Poppies!!

The formal rose garden.





Catmint in bloom bordering the roses.










No comments:

Post a Comment