Thursday, July 5, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things!

We all have that favorite pair of pruners, or a pair of gloves that fits just perfectly.  Things that make gardening easier, more efficient or more fun even.  I have some favorites that I just can't imagine gardening without.

I love container gardening!!  This time of year when it's so hot and dry, I add  Soil Moist crystals to all of my container gardens!  The crystals are the consistency of Kool-aid when dry but once they get wet they swell up with water many times their original size and look like Jell-o.  As the soil dries around them they slowly release the stored water  keeping your plants moist for much longer.


I thought I lost my favorite pruners last year when I moved.  My Felco #2s.  I couldn't find them for several months.  I was devestated.  I bought the pruners while I was at Auburn going to school for Horticulture over a decade ago.  I used them for all of my propogation classes and have continued to use them throughout my career and at home.  I was thrilled when I finally found them last summer.  I've had to replace the blade a couple of times but they still work better than any other pruners I've had. The grip is perfect and they cut sharply, precisely, and easily through thinner things like perennials and even woodier stems.



It's very hard for me to choose my favorite plants because I love them all.  It's a running joke with many of my gardening buddies when I say this is my favorite plant..  They will say "your favorite ..today?... or.. this week?... or your favorite red plant?

Well, my next favorite thing is Persicaria 'Red Dragon'.  I simply HAVE to have this plant in my garden. It's not always easy to find so when I moved last year I dug several of them to take with me.  So, It IS my favorite perennial.... my favorite perennial with red and green foliage, that blooms white performs great in sun or shade and attracts butterflies and bees that is!! ;-)  



I'll post more of my favorite things soon.  What are your favorite plants?  What tools are a must-have for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment